A sinister plot to attack foreign missions in Chennai and Bangalore has been foiled with a South Asian suspect being arrested for terror activities, Malaysian Police said on Thursday.
The man is believed to be involved in a plan to attack foreign consulates in Chennai and Bangalore, Deputy Inspector-General of Police Bakri Zinin said.
A Special Branch Counter Terrorism Unit arrested the man at about 11.15 am (local time) on Thursday following a raid in a housing area in Kepong near Kuala Lumpur.
The unit had been monitoring the man since December last year after “we discovered that he was involved in planned terror attacks,” Bakri was quoted by The Star as saying.
He said that the information obtained from the surveillance on the man was channelled to Indian authorities on April 9.
On April 29, three men were detained in India, all believed to be major players in the terrorist network.
“We will continue to work with other foreign agencies to prevent attacks in the region as well as globally. The suspect has been detained under the Immigration Act for further action,” Bakri said.
(With inputs from agencies)