Nathuram Godse, the killer of Gandhi to read his own confession in the court.
However the Indian government had banned the confession of Nathuram.
Nathuram’s brother Gopal Godse fought a 60 years legal battle after which the Supreme Court removed the ban.
Nathuram had given 150 reasons for killing Gandhi; some of which are as follows:
1. In 1919, people of India wanted General Dyer to be tried for the Massacre of innocent people at Jalianwalla Baugh .
Gandhi refused to support this demand.
2. Whole of India wanted Gandhi to intervene and save Bhagat Singh, Rajguru and Sukhdev from the Gallows.
Gandhi stubbornly refused on the grounds that they were misguided freedom fighters, and theirs was an act of violence.
3. On 6th May 1946 on public platform, Gandhi asked Hindus to sacrifice and not fight the members of Muslim league.
In Kerala Muslim league members killed over 1500 Hindus and converted 2000 to Islam. Instead of protesting, Gandhi expressed that it was a brave act of Allah’s followers.
4. On several occasions Gandhi called Shivaji, Maha Rana pratap and Guru Govind Singh as misguided nationalists.
5. Gandhi advised Raja Harisingh of Kashmir to abdicate as Kashmir had Muslim majority, and settle down in Kashi.
Raja Harisingh on the other hand he supported the Nizam (Osman Ali Khan) of Hyderabad to join Pakistan , even though the state of Hyderabad (Andhra, Telangana,Karnataka and Berar) had Hindu
Nizam Osman Ali Khan
Sardar Vallabh bhai Patel however over ruled Gandhi. When Nehru heard of Patel’s police action in Hyderabad (operation POLO) he disconnected his telephone with Patel.
Nizam surrendering to Patel
6. In 1931 the congress committee on designing of Indian flag suggested that the flag be only in saffron. Gandhi insisted changed it to a tri-colour flag.
7. During the Tripura congress, Subhash Chandra Bose was elected as president with majority, however Gandhi supported Pattabhai Sitaramayya forcing Bose to resign.
8. On 15th June 1947 during congress conclave it was decided to resist the partition of India but Gandhi went to the meeting at the last minute and supported the partition. In fact it was Gandhi who had declared earlier that partition will take place only over my dead body.
Patel and Nehru
9. Sardar Patel was elected by majority as the first Prime Minister but Gandhi insisted on Nehru .
10. Nehru government had decided to reconstruct Somnath Mandir at its cost but Gandhi without even being a member of the ministry forced the Govt. to reject this proposal .
At the same time on 13th January 1948 he went on a fast to allow Muslims to repair the mosque in Delhi at govt’s cost.
11. When Hindus refugees returned to India after partition, some of them took shelter in some mosques temporarily. When Muslims objected, Gandhi forced all such Hindus children, ladies and the old to leave the mosque and live on the streets.
12. In October 1947 Pakistan attacked Kashmir, Gandhi went on a fast and forced the Indian Govt. to pay Pakistan a compensation of Rs.55 crore.
Gandhi did not mind hurting Hindu feelings to win over the Indian Muslims.
Nathuram Godse and Narayan Apte were hanged on 15th November 1949 in the Ambala Jail in Punjab.
Source: C Chavda