Hindus shot at, stabbed, beaten savagely by Muslim village chief’s goons in Uttar Pradesh

Policemen at Chausana village in Shamli district on Thursday. (Source: Express photo by Gajendra Yadav)

They had been living harmoniously for decades until work on a sewer line ruptured ties between Hindus and Muslims at Chausana village in UP’s Shamli district late Wednesday night.

The two communities clashed over displacement of a Hindu place of worship for the purpose of laying down a sewer pipeline, which was proposed by the Muslim pradhan of the village. While the Hindus were against it, the Muslims went ahead with the construction work leading to tension. A riot broke out in which more than 20 people were injured. Many suffered serious head injuries and were referred to hospitals in Delhi, Meerut and Chandigarh.

Locals told The Indian Express the Muslims proposed an underground sewer line through the Hindu place of worship — an 80 square yard plot having idols of deities. After protests, it was decided that the sewer line would be diverted, but the sewage pipe would discharge the untreated water next to the plot. This infuriated the Hindus who opposed the proposal.

On Wednesday, around 10 pm, when the Muslims were working on the site, a 90-year-old Hindu woman alerted her sons and soon a large group reached the site to stop the construction. When the Muslims saw them coming, they called their men and a clash broke out. Both sides reportedly used bricks, stones, lathis and swords.

While police called it just a “clash”, a case of rioting and attempt to murder has been registered on the complaints of both communities.

While the Muslims claimed they started the work only after the Hindus gave their consent, the Hindus claimed otherwise.

Munni (32), whose husband sustained a severe head injury, said the moment the clash broke out, she ran to the police outpost barely 100 metres away, and the officers on duty ignored her. 

to help us personalise your reading experience.

“I told them that our men were getting killed but the two officers sat there sipping tea. They asked me to go home and wait till one or two people are dead and then approach them,” she said.

“I ran to the spot myself. When I reached there I saw two of our men lying on the ground bleeding profusely. With the help of my neighbour and children, I dragged the two of them to a safe place.”

She alleged that when she arranged for a car to rush his husband and other injured to the hospital, the Muslims blocked all the exit points of the village. “The police came after everything was over. They just took a round and said everything is ok. When I asked them as to why they did not take action, they said they did not have orders from above,” she said.

The family of the pradhan, Mohammad Irshad, however, alleged the Hindus came armed and attacked them. “We were just doing our work.

They just suddenly came and started abusing us. They had come with pistols, sickles and lathis. When we tried to tell them that they should speak to the pradhan if they have a problem with the construction, they attacked us,” said Iqbal, a family member.

Shamli SP A K Roy said it was not a communal clash as only two families — one from each community — were involved. “We have arrested two persons, one from each community, and a case has been registered. The injured are being treated.”

Source: Indian Express