Two AIADMK men held for Hindu’s temple fire

Tamil-Nadu-NewskeralaThe police have arrested two AIADMK volunteers who had burst firecrackers here on Tuesday, resulting in the thatched cover around the Rajagopuram of the ancient Kalayarkoil Temple catching fire, even as the ruling party offered to renovate the tower.

The 150-foot Rajagopuram survived a devastation when the cover built around it for renovation caught fire caused by the fireworks burst by the AIADMK volunteers after it emerged that party leader Jayalalithaa was granted conditional bail by the Karnataka High Court.

Tension in town

Tension gripped the town on Wednesday when locals and volunteers of the Hindu Munnani and the Bharatiya Janata Party observed a fast in front of the temple, demanding action against those responsible for causing damage to the tower. Shops downed shutters and a section of the people staged road blockade.

On a complaint filed by A. Rajendran, Superintendent of the temple, the police arrested AIADMK volunteers Muthu Marudhupandian, 45, and Veerasekaran, 48, who burst the crackers, and remanded them in judicial custody on Tuesday night.

On Wednesday, after a meeting with temple representatives, officials and political parties, Superintendent of Police N.M. Mylvahanan banned bursting of crackers in the vicinity of the temple and ordered posting of guards and beat police round the clock near the temple.

Four guards would be on duty in shifts, in addition to beat police, he told The Hindu .

No damage to tower


Meanwhile, temple manager P. Ilango said a close look at the Rajagopuram revealed that the fire has not caused any damage to the tower, but the impact has left some portions smeared with soot. The temple authorities had given a rough coat of paint to the tower and the AIADMK has offered to renovate the tower at an estimated cost of Rs. 10 lakhs, he said.

The Sivaganga Samathuva Devasthanam has proposed to conduct the Kumbabishekam during April-May next year.

Muthu Marudhupandian and Veerasekaran were remanded in judicial custody on Tuesday night

Source: The Hindu