SUNDAY – 08/30/15 – QUEENS NEW YORK
HSAI Attends 20th Annual “Hindu Unity Day” put on by the Indian American Intellectuals Forum (IAIF). IAIF is one of the groups supporting the Hindu Holidays Campaign. Location: Auditorium of Hindu Temple Society of North America, 143-09 Holy Avenue, Flushing, NY 11355.
HSAI joined the Hindu community of NYC in celebrating Hindu Unity Day and commemorating the coronation of Ch. Shivaji Maharaj, the Hindu warrior king who, after demolishing foreign domination, established a Hindu kingdom in India in 1674. IAIF’s aim in organizing this celebration was to create a feeling of pride about our Hindu identity and heritage in our community. The Chief guests and renowned speakers at the event included members of Indian State and highly respected and prolific intellectuals such as:
Dr. Subramanian Swamy, Senior BJP Leader and former Cabinet Minister of Law, Justice and Commerce, Government of India
Rajiv Malhotra, Founder and President of Infinity Foundation, author, philanthropist and community leader;
Suresh Chavanke, Chairman and CEO of Sudarshan TV and
Aditii Banerjee, Corporate Council at a leading Global Financial Services firm
HSAI had the opportunity to set up a table at the event for the HINDU HOLIDAYS CAMPAIGN, a campaign started by the Bangladesh Hindu Buddhist Christian Unity Council (BHBCUC). The Hindu Holiday Campaign is seeking to get at least one Hindu Holiday into the NYC school calendar. There are Christian school holidays, Jewish school holidays, and in NYC now we have Muslims school holidays… but nothing for NYC’s nearly 1 million Hindus. On Friday, 04/10/15, HSAI joined with two dozen Hindu organizations and nearly 200 Hindus to demonstrated outside City Hall for the inclusion of Hindu holidays in NYC public schools. (See Here) At this Hindu Unity Day event, HSAI collected hundreds of signatures and many donations for the campaign which will be used to begin the process of courting the NYC political machine to make this vision a reality. We have to thank Narain Kataria, Arish Sahani and Pabitra Chowdhury of IAIF for hosting Hindu Unity Day and also thanks Sitangshu Guha of BHBCUC for kickstarting and guiding the Hindu Holidays project.
HINDU UNITY DAY SPEAKERS
HINDU UNITY DAY RESOLUTIONS
Narain Kataria, president of IAIF, later announced the following:
RESOLUTIONS UNANIMOUSLY PASSED AT THE 20TH ANNUAL HINDU UNITY DAY IN NEW YORK ON AUGUST 30, 2015
We hereby solemnly take a vow that:
1. From this day onward we will work for the rejuvenation, reinvigoration, unification and consolidation of the Hindu Samaj;
2. If there is any discrimination, injustice or cruelty perpetrated on any Hindu anywhere in the world, we will raise our voices in unison to protest;
3. We will say or do nothing which will create a rift in the Hindu Samaj;
4. We will devote our time, energy , talent, and wealth (Tan, Man and Dhan) to nurturing, preserving and propagating the Hindu values of life, viz. truthfulness, yoga, meditation, peaceful coexistence, compassion and charity;
5. We will always support the associations, organizations, individuals, groups which have dedicated their lives to the service of Hindu Samaja;
6. We will keep a vigilant eye on anti-Hindu forces in media which have been unfairly and deliberately slandering and demonizing Hindu Samaj; we will vigorously expose their mean, malicious and mendacious designs so that they stop forthwith.